Sunday, July 20, 2008

It's in the bag



Here's a very simple and fun bag. I have never seen the directions for the humbug bag, but I assume it would be quite simular.




I started out with two fabrics and a cotton batting cut 12" X 9".






With the three layers, I free motion quilted them together and used a serger to sew all 4 sides. Sew the zipper on with the zipper face down on top of the right side of the fabric. Note I was using a zipper too long for the bag, but it doesn't matter because it can be shortened when we sew it in the seam.



Now turn the fabric so you can top stitch along the edge of your zipper on each side so that it will lay flat.



Now turn your fabric with right sides together and stitch the bottom of the bag across the zipper and trim off the excess bottom.




Use a ribbon and tack inside the top portion of your bag and sew the bag the opposite of the direction from the bottom. Turn right side out. Add a zipper pull if you wish.



Simply hang your bag when not in use.

5 comments:

Pattyskypants said...

Cute bag and great tutorial!

carole brungar said...

Wow, you made this look so easy! Thanks for sharing!
:) Carole

morningDove said...

Lois Smith taught this to our guild about 5 years ago now. I still have my 3 hanging up in my room. Aren't they fun to make?

Pattyskypants said...

Hey, Babe! I wanted to follow up and say I made this bag Sunday evening and it was SO MUCH FUN!! I'm going to post a photo of the bag and post the url for the tutorial. This is a GREAT project for using up all those little bits of decorative threads on bobbins and spools -- not enough for a whole quilt but perfect for this project! I also have boxes of recycled zippers that are just screaming to be used.

Ragamuffin Gal said...

Wanda ~
I received the lovely Art Doll AND the beautiful necklace!! I opened the package and could not believe my eyes that you sent BOTH! Thank you for being so generous! The art work on both is divine and I must tell you everyone at work noticed and commented on your gorgeous necklace. I feel like the luckiest gal ever! I will be blogging about it later today!

Your bag tutorial is wonderful and I plan on making one soon!
Blessings sweet gal!
~ Katie