Tuesday, September 2, 2008

What I do all day

My husband often wonders what I do all day so just had to illustrate with Miss Fritzie >^..^<



Actually I have been producing while Miss Fritzie is on inspection detail. I decided to do some experimenting with folding paper. I have always been facinated with origami. Even as a kid, I remember getting a kit for Christmas one time and spending hours trying to make them. The one that I am showing here is actually a spin on those old fashioned coin purses I use to see. I remember my grandpa even having one. I made this one a lot larger. Size wise, the base could fit a CD in it which is what I had intended it for as a gift package for someone when I made it. Once I got the size I wanted, I drew it out on butcher paper. I covered the butcher paper in a combination of matte medium and torn issue paper.(You could also do this with a half and half water to elmers white school glue mixture) I let the layers dry and then turned it over and painted the inside with an acrylic paint and sponge brush. I also used a rubber stamp and stamped dragonflies all over it and put a sealer on it of gloss mod podge. Then the fun begins in folding it. For fun, I auditoned a clay face on it. I even thought that I would be able to do this with felt, but unfortunately I felt it wasn't stiff enough. Perhaps 2 fabrics with Steam A Seam or other bonding agent would work better. I will have to do that for the next ones that I do. I will report back of my findings later.





7 comments:

Pattyskypants said...

Hai!! Fritzie is QUTE!!! Look so purrity with RED! xxoo

morningDove said...

these pieces are very beautiful. i've tried folding and i guess my brain just can't follow directions. never been able to complete one. But your work is gorgeous.

callmelacie said...

AWESOME package. You're too stinkin' talented. Miss Fritzie is a doll.

BTW- Some of the pop tabs will be in the mail soon.

NEEDLEWINGS said...

Thanks for all of the comments. Miss Fritzie wasn't always a doll. She was a little feral kitty. I made the mistake of picking her up and she bit me. My finger swelled up like a sausage. Since she was meaner than sh*t, we named her after my mother in law. lol
She is now the favorite cat in the house.

Thanks so much Lacie, I can reimburse postage!

sherry carrigan said...

These are beautiful! Love Miss Fritzie as well. I would be lost without my three furr balls lying on everything in my studio.

Gabriela said...

That is gorgeous Wanda!

Michelle said...

How beautiful and what a clever idea. Love how the tissue paper looks.