Sunday, April 22, 2012

All Things Altered

I was inspired by a doll I had seen on Etsy of an art doll out of found objects.  I love the vintage feel!  She had used a single piece of wood for the body and for proportions I wanted to use, I had a couple of children's blocks that I glued together. The neck is a vintage spool of thread and the head a smaller vintage child's block.

The front of her body is covered in vintage medicine bottle labels from a Tim Holtz scrap book paper.  I adorned her with scrabble tiles and jewelry hardware.
 The better sides of the blocks I let show through.  An old folding ruler and a child's vintage toy silver ware knife became the legs.  One of my old favorite worn out brushes became one arm while the other was made from wire, buttons and springs.  I drilled holes to attach the limbs and worked with fun wire as it is much easier on your hands.  The wings were from a dragonfly I had found at a yard sale some years ago.
I had a metal medallion that I had bent in half and used brads to attach her crown piece.  Her face a vintage photograph and some old lace.  I used an old bobbin and some metal bead spaces for the limbs so that they could swing free for her to sit or be fully upright.  I have had thoughts of adding a screw eye so that she could be hanging if one wanted her to.  She was a lot of fun.  I have enough old blocks to make at least 3 more dolls later on.  I will have to hunt yard sales this summer for more old limbs that would work.  
I also did a challenge piece for a swapbot group.  We were to use this photo of the sailor boy altered on an ATC.  I knew I was going to put some thing different in his hands and what came to mind was a bucket full of Carona bottles on ice that I had on a placemat from a Mexican restaurant. LOL  Then I ran across this mermaid tail and seahorse, so the rest fell into place.
I almost didn't reduce it enough to fit on the ATC!  I used fish charms and some metallic stars for embellishment.  Anyone want to try the challenge?  I would love to see what you come up with!  

  I had found a funny image to add to the back of the ATC. I think it's hilarious!
I love how people can be so creative to come up with some unique photos.  Here's another one that I found while doing a search.
A shark was used and digitally altered to make up this crazy new species!
apparently this photo and the woman with the fish eyes can be downloaded as wall paper on your computer!  
I prefer for my cats to be pretty tame though! So in the jungle, the mighty jungle... the lion sleeps tonight!
(Azlan my little "dandy" lion who's fur is starting to grow back.)

9 comments:

Pattyskypants said...

What fun you had!! I'm lovin' the doll and that shark/cat thang--well it resembles Bhu in many ways. Only difference: his furs are longer! LOL Azlan looks so peaceful. Happy Earth Day!! xxoo

JennaLouiseCreates said...

What a lovely doll and art card. I adore vintage and she is adorable. Happy Spring to you!

CraftygasheadZo said...

Fab altered doll, love what you've done with it all. Such fun pictures too! Zo xx

Redanne said...

You really do have the most amazing imagination! I love the doll, so well thought out and constructed and your card is brilliant. Love the pictures too! Great post.

Craftychris said...

Fabby doll, and cool pictures too xx

Pam said...

What a wonderful altered doll you created from the blocks and spool of thread. Hope you find the "arms and legs" and that they don't cost you "an arm and a leg"!

Card is so cute. A sailor/mermaid how perfect!

Have a wonderful week.

Norma Soulet (AZArtist) said...

Hi Wanda,
Love your art doll of found objects.
I am making a doll too of trinkets that I have in my studio but had to put her down until I finish a few swaps. Love all your photos too. They made me laugh!
Hugs

Gabriela said...

I love it!!!!!!!!I don't think I have the talent for altered art!

Maggie R said...

I love the altered doll... How creative... The sailor boy card is wonderful too... You are so creative and so inspirational.
Thanks so much for sharing your beautiful creations
Thanks for popping over to my blog..I always appreciate your visits.. BTW stay tuned as if I ever get a moment to breathe I am going to have a give away for my followers. Meanwhile I am taking some classes from some quilters from Denmark and then my studio tour....sigh....
Such a busy time but meanwhile when I am trying to go to sleep at night I am trying to think up the give away. LOL
xoxo
((((huygs))))
Maggie