Friday, April 13, 2012

Head in the Clouds

The theme for the shabby chic group on the artists nest is wings this month, so I ran across Gustov Pope's 1895 photo that seemed rather angelic to work with.  My sheet of unmounted rubber stamps with moth, butterfly, dragonfly and angel wings that I had purchase earlier were eagerly waiting for me to try on other things. The stamp wouldn't fit my required 3 X 5 card, so I had a brain storm to make them 3 D!  I stamped on scrap book paper and glued them together to be reversible.  With an exacto knife, I made a slit at the shoulders to tuck the wings in and fold forward. I love the effect!
I used a light blue pan color to add a tinge of blue to the sky and a slight acrylic wash for over the head to lighten it. I adhered the photo to water color paper.  At the top and bottom, I let the water color paper show through and used a light wash of copper color box ink.  The gold swirls were pieces that I did on my cricut and then painted them gold as well as accents in other areas.
The wings could be closed and put into a ring book binding.  I may do this again with some crackle glaze, something that I have yet to try. I know that Tim Holtz has a paint that does some small crackle.  I am also thinking it would be cool to do some bat wings on a piece for Halloween!

6 comments:

Craftychris said...

Fabulous! The image is gorgeous xx

May said...

O my word this is fabulous!!! Love it... the image is gorgeous and the wings just perfect!! Hugs May x x x

Janine said...

This is a pretty and cever ideee, it looks great and I guess you are right, it would look cool with bat- wings for Halloween aswell

Pattyskypants said...

U R GEENYUS! xxoo

Tina Van Netten said...

Wow, love what you did to the picture!!!!

Pam said...

These are simply gorgeous. I love the card with the wings folder in. Like the idea of bat wings at Halloween.
Have a good weekend.